Saturday, March 5, 2016

Auroral Light Delight

At this point, I've been in Churchill for about 12 days, and I thought it was time to share what we have been seeing in the night sky some nights. We've been keeping an eye out for auroras with the help of many other folks who are staying at the center in some capacity.  Here is the sign on our bedroom door for those times when we hope someone else will be paying attention.
In an earlier post, I shared the photos that Brian had taken before I arrived. This year I have been braving the elements to take some of my own. Brian has been very patient in trying to get me up to speed. Many thanks to David Marx and Jim Halfpenny who were up here leading a dedicated photography group. With their encouragement and patience, both Brian and I are learning better strategies for photographing and editing aurora photos.  Again, there is a lot to this!
Out in front of CNSC
Enjoy the photos. They most certainly have been processed. With the long exposures needed for aurora photography, the camera collects more light than our eyes can perceive. The photos reveal more color than I see, so it is always exciting to take a look at your own photos the next day. I feel a bit like an artist painting with light, trying to recreate the magic of standing under the northern lights.
Last night about one in the morning, the northern lights danced around the heavens. More below.
In the daytime, this is also one of my favorite views from the side deck.
You can see from the foreground that the aurora was getting stronger, reflecting off the snowy tundra.
The white fuzzy spot is Jupiter.
A band or ribbon of light- a common sight during auroras. There is often a slight twist to it.
More to come as I have fun processing my photos

3 comments: