Friday, March 18, 2016

Bonus Night of Northern Lights


After the amazing lights on Monday night March 14th, we said goodbye to our last Arctic Skies group. On Tuesday night, there were only a handful of us left at CNSC- a very quiet place now. According to aurora forecasts, there was a stream of solar wind hitting Earth and probability was high for a great night of auroras. We kept looking out at the clear skies, until eventually everyone went to bed. Three of the younger crowd headed out to sleep in an igloo, and Brian headed to sleep.
Phil and two others slept here
I took one last look near midnight and the dancing lights appeared. No one left in the building wanted to get up, so I had the moment completely to myself. I did a little photographing outside, but I decided to opt for the comfort of the dome. As the colors started to dance and dart, almost like a beam of light from above, I had a 360 degree view of the heavens in complete comfort.
I brought the camera to the dome, something I've never done before. This is usually not a practical or polite thing to do with anyone else trying to share the space, but that night it did not matter. It was so much fun to experiment with ISO and with shutter speed with warm fingers. My photography skills are sadly lacking when it comes to a fast and active aurora, so usually I just look up and take it all in without fussing with the camera. In these photos (except for the ones at the top of the post, you see the lights dancing from the highest point at CNSC in the aurora dome.
Snow sculpture outside the igloo

No comments:

Post a Comment